Ok, so I’m being dramatic. But this is a big week, medically. Starting with today. I have a phone consultation with a surgery center in New Orleans at 1 o’clock. I’m definitely not procrastinating the things I’m supposed to do by writing a blog post, nope, not me! I’m anxious for this phone call even though realistically I know that there’s nothing specific about my case/body that they’ll be able to tell me. It’s supposed to last close to an hour. I am not quite sure what we’ll talk about for that whole hour but we’ll see!
Thursday, Barry and I are heading up to Birmingham for three appointments. Mammogram first, specialist second and then MRI last. I’m so incredibly grateful for my friends that have volunteered to shuttle my kids and especially for Geri. She is getting up Bondi early to take them to school and of course, it’s Thursday. Emilia has ballet. Not an easy day like M/W/F but it has to be on a ballet day! Ha! She’s excited for the challenge and my kids are stoked to have their actual favorite person watch them. Owen even suggested that I could stay in Birmingham for like two weeks if I needed to. (He totally loves me.)
I will gladly accept any and all good vibes today and Thursday. If I’m being honest, I’m afraid for Thursday. Not for the tests themselves. I mean a mammogram certainly won’t be FUN, and sitting in a tube for 45 minutes listening to a disjointed symphony won’t be FUN either but I’m terrified for the results. My cousin was my age when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. There’s this voice in the back of my head telling me it could be and it’s getting progressively louder the closer to Thursday we get.
If all goes well on Thursday, I am hoping to schedule my surgery for early September. There are a few reasons for my desire to schedule it so ‘far’ out and most have to do with my kids. It’s almost summer vacation already. I mean, I just paid for my kids’ dance recital costume! It’s happening faster than I can imagine. I don’t want to spend my kids’ entire summer stuck in a recliner. (Also, that’s something I’ll get to shop for in the future, apparently it’s the most comfortable place to sleep after mastectomy!) I want to be able to take them to the pool, or the beach, or miniature golfing. Or be able to drive them to the store for food. I know my recovery is going to be kind of intense. It just makes the most sense to me to wait until then. I know Barry will help as much as possible and I have a hood full of people willing and wanting to help. I also want to be able to rest and recover and that just isn’t happening with my kids home. If the flu showed me anything, it’s that when they’re home mama doesn’t rest.
Thanks for reading and I am accepting good vibes from now until eternity 🙂